Monday, May 08, 2006

New folk tale: Three brothers and the pot of porridge

This story of the three brothers and the pot of porridge was told to me recently.

I forgot to ask what happened to the youngest brother after he fell into the river. Did he drown, or did he get rescued and learn a lesson he would never forget? I resisted the urge to “fill in the gap” there, but could not resist creating a logical reason why the brothers declined the offer of supper in the first place because I imagine that they must have been hungry after making this long trip on foot. Also, within the context of African culture, even present day, it is perfectly normal (and expected) to share your hosts meals.

Edit:
I forgot to add this. Any Yoruba-speaking person out there able to translate this phrase?
Ki okun gbe mi si erigidi ofun

There’s also the possibility that I’ve gotten that part of the song totally wrong, so if you’ve got suggestions, they’ll be much appreciated.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have questions in regards to the "Thre borthers and the pot of porrigde" can I post it directly on the site?
Thanks.

folktaler said...

Sure, please post any questions you have here. But if you prefer not to do so, you can use the contact form on www.allfolktales.com.

Unknown said...

I am a Yoruba and i am in USA i was born in afrecar so i know the song and my name is ashekun but the song is wrong it a song that i know when i was 7,8,9,10 and goon now i am 14.think you for reminding me about mt best story bey